Monday, July 14, 2014

Looking for Quarters @ Clarke Quay, Singapore?

So, I'm envious much about this new venture my old classmate has started.

It's slightly annoying how we all started at the same place (school) and I'm still kind of finding my way while he has a whole place set up from scratch and will soon be building a life together with his fiancée but I claim glory by association.



Quarters Hostel is located on 12 Circular Road, along Clarke Quay, walking distance from Riverside yet not right smack within the noise and drunken revellers on a weekend!

Since I've started travelling with friends, I've lived in hostels in China, Australia, UK, Thailand and Taiwan so I'm pretty much familiar with living in small places on small budgets and my list of important must-haves in no order of importance are:


  • Cleanliness
This is a must-have because on a junk on the Mekong Delta, I once attempted to 'fluff my pillow' on a whim and a cockroach crawled out from beneath. Not related whatsoever to hostel-living but just saying.

I have checked beneath the pillows at Quarters Hostel: no cockroaches!

  • Security
Living in hostels or budget hotels, one of the main concerns are security.

Should I hide my passport under the mattress or bring it out with me? What if I get robbed? Do I leave $100 beneath my pillow so I have money to cab to the airport? What if it gets stolen??

Singaporeans are a pretty affluent bunch, with average monthly salaries of S$7,362, according to SalaryExplorer. We really don't need that $100...or maybe we won't mind an extra $100...

...I'm pretty sure SalaryExplorer is kidding though since the Ministry the Manpower discloses a monthly Singaporean salary of $3,700 and my wallet isn't exactly thick with spare cash (we all use Amex ^.^).

If it's any assurance though, take a look around at other commuters on the buses and MRTs and most will be carrying the latest iPhones and Samsungs so no, we most likely will not snatch yours unless you're doing really badly at 2046.

Point being: we are mostly nice people on the streets but they have lockers in each dorm room at Quarters Hostel so you can still stash away $100 just in case!


  • Wi-Fi
This is a must-have, unless you are looking for total alone time with your travel partner, away from humanity, but then you'd probably have chosen Pulau Ubin instead of 'Pulau Singapore'.

On a trip to Cambodia with my friends, I recall upon setting foot into any F&B establishment, our first question would be, 'Excuse me, what's the Wi-Fi password?'

After which we would all proceed to furiously check our phones for messages, Facebook updates and news from the outside world as we know it.

It would be 15 minutes later, after having quenched our thirst for outside communication would we proceed to wonder what was on the menu.

With Wi-Fi available throughout the hostel, you don't have to pay for PC usage to access your emails/Facebook!

  • Bunking with friends
Quarters Hostel offers female/male beds for the solo traveller's peace of mind!

My preferred room, though, is the Family Room, because I'm rarely a solo traveller and when I travel in a group, it's nice if we get to bunk together and stay up chatting/playing games.

Another nice room they have is the Window Room:


  • Breakfast provided
I usually start off a trip all excited to try out the 'local delicacies', and insisting I'm not going to spend my time on a lousy hotel breakfast when I can try out something recommended by someone on the internet. But as you know, there are many things to try, many places to go, and many ways to get lost and only end up with food in your tummy some time around lunch.

As some unfortunate souls can attest, I do not deal well in the mornings without food and even a slice of bread will go very far to temper my moods. While I do not want a full fledged breakfast where I have to try everything because it's included in the room price and paid for, and then feel grumpy about not being able to save my stomach for local delicacies, a very good solution is just simple, basic fare.

Another plus would be for hostel staff to point me in the direction of the nearest something recommended by someone on the internet to get me started.


Anyway, I'm pretty impressed that he got this place done up so quickly. It has a minimalistic vibe to it, offering all that's necessary, but not always available elsewhere, to the budget traveller so for those paying a visit to Singapore, do have a stay at this new place and leave your reviews!


No comments:

Post a Comment